Kittens, you know that all shapes and sizes of horror conventions are near and dear to
the hole where our hearts should be on TYoH, but we often focus on east coast events because there just doesn’t seem to be as many dedicated horror shows here in southern California. Imagine my heady flush to discover not just a horror convention happening right up the road in Los Angeles this weekend, but one distinctly dedicated to all things Halloween!
In its second year, ScareLA is the brainchild of Lora Ivanova and David Markland. David also happens to run CreepyLA, the Los Angeles Halloween blog, and although former flame Creepy and I have decided to just be good friends, I have it on the best of authority that this convention is not one to miss.
Looking at the event list, ScareLA has put together a unique mix of activities for professional Halloween haunters, home enthusiasts, and horror lovers alike. They seem to have struck a lovely balance between activities for Halloween fans already excited to start planning for the big day, and taking advantage of their proximity to Hollywood to draw events and vendors at a more technical industry level. There are an almost overwhelming number of activities packed into just two days, from classes and panel discussions to horror screenings and good, old-fashioned scary activities (zombie shooting range, anyone?). Saturday night features a costumed gala, and the good folks over at DoomBuggies, Atlas Obscura, and The Magic Castle will also be on hand during the weekend with special presentations. Here’s ScareLA’s run down on the show’s activities:
- Curated collection of exhibitors showcasing scary goods, services & job opportunities
- Expert and celebrity panels on the haunt business, horror entertainment and more
- Presentations of top and upcoming local haunts with sneak peaks and unveils
- Performances by local horror themed theatre companies and musicians
- Professional demos of makeup, set building, costume creation, animatronics and more
- Hands-on workshops taught by top haunt industry professionals for all skill levels and ages
- Onsite interactive experiences
- Screening room showing premier attraction walk-throughs and local horror filmmakers
- Games, roaming monsters and more!
As a little added bonus, our good fiends at ScareLA were kind enough to offer a 20% ticket discount to our darling readers. Just use code THEYEAROFSCARE when ordering, and I’ll see you at the big show!